How to Write Your Bio for Coaching or Counseling in 15 Minutes
Do you struggle with how to describe who you are and what you do in your brochure, website or introduction when you are asked to speak?
Do you feel unprepared to talk about your credentials from a humble, authentic place, so that prospective clients will hire you?
When it comes time to write an influential “About Me” page for your website, do you draw a blank?
If you have a difficult time with this, you are certainly not alone. To be perfectly candid, I have had a challenge with this myself. My main focus for over a decade has been creating courses to help others, so I just don’t spend time thinking about myself, who I am or what I do. It’s difficult to change my focus to something I am unaccustomed to thinking about. In fact, to do so, almost feels selfish some days.
But here is what I learned:
We have each been created with a unique purpose, to share our God-given, amazing gift with the world. But if the world does not know who we are or what we can do for them, our gift can lay dormant for years, maybe even for all eternity. And that is certainly not helping the Kingdom cause, is it?
My suggestion is to begin by thinking about what your prospective client would want to know about you, in order to see the value in working with you. Here is a 4-step formula:
1. First, they want to know what your specialty is. Does it connect immediately with something they need?
2. Second, how do your skills help them achieve their goal or overcome their challenge?
3. Third, what experience and training validate your ability to help them?
4. Fourth, they need a way to remember who you are and how to reach you. A unique brand, slogan or message is enormously helpful here.
Sandra Hill is a certified Joy Restoration Coach® who specializes in helping her clients overcome grief and loss in a matter of months rather than years, so that they can once again live purposeful, joy-filled lives, while honoring their past. Having overcome life-altering losses of her own and being certified as a Joy Restoration Coach® / Christian Grief Coach have given her the tools to help others do the same. Today Sandra offers individual services, group programs and seminars. You can reach Sandra from her website contact page at: http://joyfulagain.com/contact/
Were you able to identify the components of this formula? Let’s dissect her bio.
1. What is Sandra’s specialty? Joy Restoration Coaching®
2. How does Sandra’s skill help her clients? She helps them overcome grief much faster than they could on their own so they can once again live purposeful, joy-filled lives while honoring their past, rather than being held back by it.
3. Her experience and training: She personally overcame major losses, which gave her a passion to get trained and certified to help others. Sandra’s own life is living proof of her ability.
4. Until she can establish her own brand, she is supported by being certified by a known, recognized entity as a certified Joy Restoration Coach®
Follow this formula to come up with your own influential bio. It will give you key points and structure to write a unique, persuasive bio, and you’ll be able to complete it in about 15 minutes. Ready, set, go!
Our readers and I would love to hear from you if you have discovered a creative way to write about yourself and your services. Tell us about it in the comments below!
© 2015 Leelo Bush PhD
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR WEBSITE OR NEWSLETTER?
You have Leelo's permission as long as you include the complete copyright statement below:
“Leelo Bush, PhD is recognized globally as a Christian Coach training curriculum creator, speaker, host of the Reach Higher Show (http://reachhighershow.com) and innovator as well as a marketplace ministry and training expert. Discover your hidden potential with her FREE 5-Minute Success Predictor Quiz at http://pccca.org"